Monday 7 February 2011

Good Morning, Thomas, said the Fat Controller...

Finally having a night off after three 12-hour days of popping! This Valentines rush is certainly not good for the feet, but it has been lovely to experiment. Some have turned out a lot better than others. Not happy with my Dr Who pops, so they will need to be redesigned at some point. Star Wars were mostly acceptable - Yoda was a bit questionable! Thomas was uber-fiddly, but I think I got there in the end so was well worth it! He looks a bit mardy though, so I think next time I might modify his face slightly!

I'd seen Star Wars pops here and there but knew I wanted to add my own spin - my Chewbacca has an open mouth complete with fangs, and Darth has a gloss to him that's reminiscent of the real deal. I put my features underneath the top coat rather than add them afterwards. I know I'm probably going to get hate mail from die-hard Star Wars fans as my R2D2 isn't quite true to life, but it's hard to work with melts that dry uberquickly and fondant that doesn't want to behave! The assembly is without a doubt the hardest part, as it's all got to be done within seconds, and invariably you drop the bits you need into wet melts and render them useless. My top tip: if you're trying your own - always make twice as much as you need! 


The Tardis and the Dalek were a bit of a challenge. I think I had the right idea with the Tardis, but my mixture was too moist and they didn't hold their shape well. They looked a bit more like the leaning tower of Pisa until I covered them in blue! Daleks were a bit too gold. Will be tweaking both in future.

Here are the results so far:






No comments:

Post a Comment