Friday 11 February 2011

Me & Mr Big - a true story

It all started innocently enough. I received an email asking for cake pops for a 7 year olds birthday. We discussed the sort of things he might be in to, and that was when I first heard his name - Mr Big. Oscar's beloved rabbit. 

Now, I really don't know why I thought that Mr Big would be a stuffed toy, but I did. And I thought I'd be clever-clogs and ask for pictures of Mr Big so I could try and make cutesy cake pops to resemble him. I thought it would be a nice touch to have a rabbit that actually looked like Mr Big rather than just a generic rabbit. I was envisioning big floppy ears, pastel colours, maybe some stitching. I did think that perhaps it was a little odd that a 7 year old might still be cherishing a soft toy, but still the penny didn't drop. 

And then the photos came. And Mr Big clearly wasn't a soft toy. He was a gorgeous little bunny with black ears, black bits on his face and legs and one white paw. 'Oh. Now this is going to be a little more challenging' I thought. But in for a penny, in for a pound. I'd already asked for photos so now I was going to have to follow through with it. So I set to work. I made ears out of toffee and carefully moulded cake into rabbit-ey shapes (one of them looked more like a goat foetus according to my friend who popped over to deliver some emergency vanilla extract. Yeah, the ears were too short - into the reject tin with you!). Then I mixed up the melts to make the taupe/grey colour, before dipping them carefully and giving them the power of sight. Well, giving them beady little black eyes anyhoo. Finally, I dusted with black powder and painted their paws. I stepped back to admire my handiwork.... 

.... hmmm... Not bad for cake and chocolate, I thought. What do you think? 





Mr Big
Lookit that l'il white paw!

They're a bit more brown in real life (the cake pops, not Mr Big). We'll have to see what the client thinks when she comes to collect them later. I think the most important verdict will be that of Oscar - have I done Mr Big justice? Ooooh, the anticipation!

1 comment: